New Years Eve 2016

Since I had been traveling for much of the past couple weeks, I decided to open all of my holiday cards today, not because it was New Years Eve but because it just happened to be. They were all wonderful, and I was extremely thankful for the thought that there are those out there that were thinking of me this holiday season, but one in particular struck a chord with me.

“Talk about an amazing 2016 for you. Unless you go to the moon, we aren’t sure how you’re going to top it :)”

And they were right, though there things that happened to those that I loved that would test any person’s resolve and faith in humanity, 2016 was an amazing year for me filled with extraordinary experiences. So I decided to live its last day in the most ordinary way possible.

I woke up this morning around 4 AM to a text from Derek. I think he’d landed in London, living the next chapter of his life, the start of an epic journey. After a return text, I fell back asleep, woke up a little before 7a to Taylor next to me, beckoning for a hike. While I got ready, Ricky Martin’s “Livin La Vida Loca” and George Michael’s “Freedom! ’90” played in the background. I put on my contacts, and off we went to our beloved Headlands.

With Tom Petty’s “Learning to Fly”, Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’” and Queen’s “Don’t Stop Me Now” to start my hike (and relive an epic car ride in Vancouver, that I’ve done countless times since visiting), I was ready. Stepping outside, sun fell behind storm clouds that gave way to a little rain to welcome our entry into the Headlands, the deep forest running towards Fernwood Cemetery providing shelter. The steep incline past the Hindu god that keeps watch over the tombstones proved better for our limbs than yesterday, though I knew I’d be feeling this the next day. And the “Chair of Contemplation” provided a brief respite for me to enjoy the view that I wake up to every day.

By 9:30 AM, it was time for the hot tub. A brisk 45 degrees outside, clad in swimshorts, flip flops and a fleece, I quickly walked the minute from my place to the pool and hot tub area, and readily jumped in. At first the heat was a shock to my system, but before long I was sprawled out under water, the steam rising from the hot tub and my bald scalp. To my left, the sun’s rays shone brightly and to my right, storm clouds stared at me to force a slight drizzle while I smiled.

Twenty minutes later, I was back home, cleaned up to run errands before I found myself at the farmers market in Larkspur. While not large, the stands showcased quality food, including sashimi grade fish. I was drawn to something else. I bought some honey from Clements, CA and some chocolate. It was a quick stop; I wanted to get home to watch the college football playoff games, both of which turned out to be extremely disappointing, neither being good games. However, hot chocolate with a shot of whiskey and some honey proved the perfect remedy.

I spent the late afternoon FaceTiming and cleaning. Taylor even helped.

Before long, candles were lit, and Christmas movies were playing while the Christmas music that has been playing the past several weeks nonstop kept playing.

Throughout the day, my mantra was a wish that I was saying to myself over and over again, like a record playing my favourite songs — I wish for those that I love, health and love and peace and happiness.2016 had been a good year.

I’m ready for 2017. Fate has some big things in store for me.

Please follow me on

If you would like to purchase or inquire about custom art, please visit




One thought on “New Years Eve 2016

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s