I have traveled to many places. I have been to different parts of India on several occasions. I have been to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Atlantis, parts of Malawi & South Africa, Glasgow & Edinburgh in Scotland, Leeds & London in England, Amsterdam, Kuala Lampur in Malaysia, and Singapore, not to mention a host of other places in North America. And that doesn’t even come close to the number of places some of my friends have traveled.
And I just came back with my buddy Derek from Thailand, eighteen years after the last time I was there. We sat down before I left (as he stayed another few days) to come up with our list of tips for international travel.
- Do your research, but keep your options open.
- Travel light. Especially if you are backpacking, you want to be as light as possible. In Third World countries, you can buy clothes for dirt cheap. Leave as much behind as possible; give to the needy. Do your research on this one as many countries in this part of the world use children to beg, all monies collected going to the mafias.
- Take pictures (or bring photocopies) of your valuable identification.
- Get shots, if necessary.
- Purchase travel insurance.
- Be agile. Expect the unexpected. Not everything will goto plan… We missed flights. We had flights cancel. We got food poisoning.
- Learn how to say hello/goodbye, how much and thank you. And more would be nice.
- Don’t over prepare. Quite frankly, on the India trip, I packed way more than what I needed.
- Bring with you a first aid kit. Anti diahrea meds. Tylenol. Iodine. Neosporin. Bandages.
- Bring hand sanitizer.
- Be polite. Wear a smile.
What would you add to this list?
Go Adventure. Go Travel. Go Live.
As always, if you enjoyed reading this post, please share my blog with your connections http://www.secretofmysuccecil.com and follow me. Thank you!