I was reading through the journal I wrote in 2009, recollecting what a wonderful year it was, with so many fun and great adventures with family and friends. I was struck, however, by one entry written 1:45 PM Thursday 27 August in Chicago, IL. Reading it reminded me of what I had gone through physically that year. And I am amazed by all the pain I endured, and yet there was only one entry where I acknowledged it, detailing that pain. By the end of the year, I would have survived…
- I was hit by a car crossing the street on my way to catch the train for work at the very end of 2008.
- Six months later, I broke my foot. A month later, I sprained my other foot.
- I contracted pneumonia, which put me out of commission for over a week.
- By the end of the year, I lost feeling on the left side of my upper body, finding out later that I had a pinched nerve, the result of a bulging disc in my neck, both intensely painful.
- My lower back was in extreme pain cos my sacrum was rotated one way while my hip bones rotated the other causing undue pressure and strain.
- It was physically tough to get out of bed some days.
When I read this entry, I actually smiled instead, cos in the body of the page, was a small paragraph, that two of my dearest friends – my friend Eve and my friend Elizabeth – just had a baby. They’re two of the best persons I’ve ever known; and though they’ve never met each other, my love and friendship for each reminds me of the other. Those kids are almost six years old now, so full of life, so filled with and surrounded by love.
It just goes to show you, that one’s perspective on life is truly what one makes of it. If you decide to dwell on all the bad things that have happened, you’ll only look at your life from that lens. If you instead use those events and choose instead use it as fuel for a better more positive outlook, then you can do that too. So that’s what I tend to do. My life is rosey, even when it is not.
Go Adventure. Go Travel. Go Live.
As always, if you enjoyed reading this post, please share my blog with your connections http://www.secretofmysuccecil.com and follow me. Thank you!
One thought on “2009 Was a Great Year”